Thursday, October 21, 2010

Baptism Day

One of the big events on our Utah trip was Shayne's baptism. What with my entire family in town for my grandpa's birthday, and with Brendon's parents and grandfather already there, it seemed like the perfect time to gather everyone together for this special occasion. It turned out that Brendon's brothers and their families were all able to come over from Cheyenne and Denver for the weekend as well, so that was even better! (Missed you, girls!) As Brendon's Uncle Gregg (who arranged for us to hold the baptism at his chapel) said, it sure was a big crowd for what was supposed to be "just a small, family baptism"!


Baptism1 
Dinner with the family before heading to the church. 


Baptism4 
The man of the hour.


Both of Shayne's grandfathers spoke at the service, and both really spoke to Shayne. It was great to hear their testimonies.


Baptism5Baptism6 


Brendon baptized and confirmed Shayne. I loved seeing the circle of father, grandfathers, and uncles for the confirmation and blessing. It made me so thankful for the priesthood heritage and examples of good, strong men Shayne has going before and surrounding him.


Baptism2 
Shayne had been asking and asking the last year for a "coat like Dad's" for church.


In the weeks and months preceeding this milestone, I prayed and prayed that when the moment of his baptism and confirmation arrived, Shayne would be able to feel the Holy Spirit, be able to recognize it for what it was, and always remember it. So when we got back to the hotel later that night, I was all ready to ask him how he had felt, what he remembered, just sure that he was going to be filled with mature observations about the experience.


Well, just before we left the chapel, Ethan had given Shayne a birthday gift, a Star Wars lego set. So, instead of gushing, I got short, curt answers and lots of furtive looks over at the lego box that was just begging to be opened. Ha! You think maybe I was expecting just a bit too much? ;) Oh well...c'est la vie! I do know that I felt the Spirit, and I will continue to hope and pray that he will always remember this day and the special feeling that was there. We are so proud of him!


Baptism3



3 comments:

Shelly said...

Ethan is now asking me for a coat like Shayne's. And sorry Ethan spoiled the moment you had envisioned with the gift.

Leigh said...

Shelly, Ethan didn't spoil anything! Like I said, I was expecting too much and likely would have gotten similar results, gift or no.

Kari said...

Congrats to Shayne. BTW...I love that hair color on you.