I know everyone in my family has already read several posts about our Grandpa's birthday and party in Utah. So I feel pretty redundant at this point, but I do want to just add how much I enjoyed our visit with Grandpa, and how much I admire him, still kickin' it strong at 95.
He is the best. I love how, just before he gave up his car this summer (I know!), he took a crew of fellas from the retirement center out for a cruise and dinner one last time. I love how I can google his name looking for a bio to link for this post and come across an article talking about how, during a turbulent time for the U.S. Forest Service in the late 60s and early 70s , "Hurst stressed 'traditional values' of the Forest Service, such as professionalism, pride in the Forest Service, its history and traditions, high standards of integrity, honesty, and hard work by all employees, a deep concern for the individual people who were dependent on the national forests, and a strong bond of 'family' among the Forest Service members for each other." That is so him.
At one point over the weekend he mentioned that in his 95 years, he has personally known seven generations of family, from his great-grandparents to his great-grandchildren, with him at the center. Right where he belongs.
Gotta love that first picture that shows that your kids are still kids, no matter how old you (or they!) are. And the last picture is the best because it captures the moment right after Uncle Carl had given this nice speech about what a great man Grandpa is, and Grandpa looked over to his brother-in-law and said, "Do you believe all that?" and Uncle Vermon quipped right back, "Do I know that guy? I'd like to meet him!" Ha! Awesome.
2 comments:
I didn't hear the comment about seven generations...quite amazing!
I'm glad you posted your own recap. Love the quote from the article you found.
Post a Comment