Today is Part 2 of the "Gifts to Make" post. Let's get started!
Fabric Crayon Roll from Skip to My Lou. I'm not sure if I've posted about these before, but we made these at our craft weekend this summer, and they were a big hit. The consensus was that whipping these out at church or in a waiting room could give you some serious "mom cred.". ;) Honestly, I struggled with making them, just because I'm not much of a sewer and the ric rac trim was tricky for me; but if you leave off the trim, they go much faster. And if you're more experienced than I am, then you'll be just fine even with the trim. Click here for a picture tutorial.
Child's Coloring Wallet from Jennifer Casa at JCHandmade. Here is another twist on the same idea. I love that this is all-in-one with the paper pad as well. If you are going to attempt this project and want to make it easy on yourself, you can purchase Jennifer's pattern and a tutorial with full instructions and photos for $7.00 at her etsy shop.
Heather Bailey's Fabric Headbands. These were another one of our summer craft projects. Also a big hit, and super, super simple to make. You could make a set of 3 or 4 as a gift, and the pattern has adult, child, and baby sizes. They are adorable on Aubrey, who doesn't have enough hair for cute clips yet! Click here for the downloadable pattern, Hooray for Headbands. (Also, if you click on the first link to Heather's blog above, you can read about her idea and find her downloadable pattern for adorable little boxes for giving gift cards.)
Reversible Super-Hero Capes from Puking Pastilles. My kids are always asking me to tie their blankets around their necks so that they can play superhero. This is a much better idea than a blanket and a rubberband; it is reversible, it has boy and girl versions, and it uses velcro, so no Mommy assistance needed! Super cute for the superheroes in your life. Click here for the instructions.
Do you have any early readers on your gift list? If so, I absolutely adore these felt letter sets from MiChiMa on etsy. These could help with learning to identify letters and sounds, as well as beginning spelling and reading. Each letter is only about 2" in height, and the sets come in capital letters, lowercase letters, numbers 0-9 , and many other varieties. And get this...they're magnetized! What fun! Of course, you could make your own as well. I imagine it would take some time, but then you could customize the font and size to your ideal specifications. And, yes, I realize that you could just go to the Wal-Marts and buy the plastic set for your refrigerator for a fraction of the cost in money and/or time, but seriously? Not even close to as cute!
Everyone knows that aprons are hot items these days, right? Here are links to a fewapron tutorials from around the web that I have been collecting. And I know there are tons more than just these out there...
- Reversible and adjustable Child's Apron from LangLang Creations
- Kid-sized Chef Apron from Supafine
- Lined Apron from lululollylegs
- Smock top from suzdeth
- Reversible Half Apron from The Longest Year
- Kid's Dishtowel Apron from I Have to Say
- Apron from Cicada Daydream
- Gathering Apron from The Cottage at Frog Creek
Okay, let's move away from the sewing projects for the last three ideas. Check out this Patterned Key Rack from DesignSponge. Perfect for the kitchen or next to the back door. You can make it match the recipient's decor, and it really couldn't get any easier: wood, paper, modpodge, and hooks. Click here for instructions.
Embroidery Hoop Bulletin Boards from sweet jessie. I just love these as a different take to the traditional memo board. And I've seen them going for a pretty penny on etsy, but you can easily make your own. I want to make a set of three different sized ones for my kitchen. Again, make it to compliment your recipient's decor, and it is sure to be a hit. Be sure to add a set of coordinating pins to accompany the gift! Click here for instructions.
I am unsure of the origin of this idea (so let me know if you know!), but it is the perfect gift for the gardener in your life: Garden Label Stones. To create, all you need are some smooth, light-colored rocks, a letter-stamp set, and some archival quality black ink that will last. Stamp, dry, and give! I love how the ones pictured are gathered in a "gift basket" of sorts with the seeds. Such a great idea!
Okay, I'll be back either late Saturday night or Sunday morning with the final post: Christmas Decorating!
No comments:
Post a Comment