Happy Thanksgiving! I know that pretty much zero of you will be checking the blog today (and rightfully so!), but I didn't want to lose my momentum by skipping a day. So, since today is all about the food, I thought I'd post a couple of holiday recipes.
This cheese ball recipe is a staple in the Nelson house for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's. I had never actually made it myself until last night. Very easy! Shelly, who usually takes care of them, would be so proud. And don't let the corned beef scare you off; it is soooo yummy with this recipe. Promise! (If anything, it should be the MSG and cream cheese that scare you off of this one!)
Christmas Cheese Ball
- 2 8 oz. packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced finely
- 2-3 packages corned beef, chopped finely (We used to use the Buddig packages for this, but they've been discontinued at HEB, so we just go to the deli and get some instead; I'd say about 1/3 lb. would be good for one cheese ball.)
- 1-2 T. milk
- 1 t. worcestershire sauce
- 1 T. Accent (MSG)
Mix together cheese, onions, milk, worcestershire, Accent, and half of corned beef. Shape into a ball, then roll the ball in the remaining corned beef until covered. Place on a plate or in a bowl, cover in plastic wrap, and chill for an hour or more. Serve with crackers.
This next recipe came from my cousin Shannon, who made these for our annual baking weekend last year. I have to say, normally I'm not a fan of crispy cookies, but these are so light, buttery, and crispy that they just melt in your mouth. Yum! In fact, there were a couple of people last year who never even got these cookies because they were so irresistible that they were gone before they could be delivered. (Sorry, Marchelle!)
Sprinkle Sugar Cookies
1 cup margarine (right out of refrigerator) 1 cup sugar (7 oz) 1 cup oil (7 ½ fl oz) 1 cup powdered sugar (4 oz) 1 tsp real vanilla 1 large egg 4 cups flour (1 lb 4 oz) 1 tsp baking soda 1 tsp salt 1 tps cream of tartar
Preheat oven to 350. Cream margarine, oil and sugars on medium speed #5 for 5 minutes. Scrape bowl down and add egg and vanilla and mix well. Add dry ingredients and mix just until combined, about 30 seconds on low. Scoop dough with small cookie scoop and roll into ball. Place balls on ungreased airbake cookie sheets. Spray the bottom of a glass with Pam then dip the glass in colored sugar and then press down cookie ball. (You may need to re-spray bottom of glass with Pam and dip in colored sugar frequently.) Bake 12-14 minutes until lightly browned. (16 minutes for medium scoops to be crispy.) Cool 5 minutes on cookie sheet and then transfer to wire rack to finish cooling. Makes about 36 medium cookies (or a lot more smaller cookies).
Okay, I'm off to roll out some orange rolls. Enjoy your day!
3 comments:
I was going to post the cheese ball recipe on my blog too. Too funny. I made two of them yesterday.
I am glad you made it, now you know how easy it is and I won't have to be the only one to make them anymore.
One tip--If you want to make them for friends and put it on a platter with crackers, you can easily get two good sized cheese balls out of one recipe because this recipe produces a BIG one.
Good recipes for this time of year!!
The cheese ball sounds really good. Hope your orange rolls were a success.
Post a Comment