Wednesday, April 29, 2015

More Politics?

I know, I know, not a super popular topic on the blog, but last night we were able to go with my parents to an "On Topic" guest presentation featuring Joe Lieberman, and I thought I'd share a few take-aways.

People generally have pretty strong feelings about this man, and I've always fallen on the like side. I thought it was a really great evening. It was super interesting to see what he felt free to say now that he's no longer in office. At one point, he said, "If I were still in office, this is the point where someone on my staff would say, 'You've answered his question. Now STOP TALKING.'" But he didn't, and went on to discuss his personal feelings about the issue (gay marriage in this case, if I remember correctly). Other topics covered included protecting religious freedom, the 2000 presidential/vice presidential campaign, his work with the No Labels campaign, and current U.S. foreign policy regarding the Middle East. (Quite frankly, he let the President have it on that last point.)

Regarding his own Jewish heritage and observance, Lieberman discussed his 2012 book, The Gift of Rest: Rediscovering the Beauty of the Sabbath. It was so refreshing to hear this discussion! I loved this: "How can you walk with God through six days if you don't rest with Him on the seventh?" He also mentioned the positive feedback his book had received outside the Jewish community--including a personal response from former BYU president, Cecil Samuelson. (Kind of funny to hear that mentioned in the context of a Jewish man speaking at a Baptist university!) I've added the book to my summer reading list--I'll be sure to report back.

Like I said, super interesting evening. They should be posting the full video of the presentation soon, so I'll link up here when they do. (If you have an hour for Netflix, you have an hour to watch this--would love to hear what you think.)

On a side note, Mom and Dad said they felt like they'd discovered where all the town blue-hairs hang out--on the BU lecture circuit. Ha! It's true!

3 comments:

Jenny N said...

old people definitely love a lecture/seminar ;)

sounds like it was great. please link when you have it.

Anonymous said...

The only thing that could have made the evening any better was having a third seat between Joe Lieberman and Ken Starr and me sitting in it!

Thanks for the tickets. Mom

Shelly said...

Sounds like an interesting evening. I'd love to listen to it and I think I'll look for the book when I go to the library today.