Wednesday, November 6, 2013

30 Days of Thankful: Blogging

I'm on here late today and not feeling particularly inspired, but I also don't want to miss or lose momentum because even posting for these few days has reminded me how much I like blogging and capturing our stories here. When I was looking for the 2007 Star Wars post to link the other day, I came across so many posts that made me laugh or feel nostalgic. (And I realize I say this same thing every time I break and then start blogging regularly again!)

The truth is, I felt pretty underwater for the first half of this year. I could barely keep up in my real life, so the blogging life--both posting and reading most anything other than family blogs--went away for awhile. I'm definitely above water these days, or have a good dog-paddle going anyway, so hopefully the blogging habit will stick this time.

For some old post fun, click here or here.



Finding it hard to feel thankful about the mundane chores that take up the greater share of your day? This letter from a pioneer woman to her daughter instructing her how to do laundry might help. We can be thankful we don't have to "shave one hole cake lie sope in biling water"!

"Build a fire in the backyard to het kettle of rain water. Set tube so smoke won’t blow in eyes if wind is pert.

Shave one hole cake lie sope in biling water.

Sort things. Make three piles, one pile white, one pile cullord, one pile britches and rags.

Stir flour in cold water to smooth, then thin down with biling water.

Rub dirty spots on bord, then bile. Rub cullords but don’t bile. Just rench and starch. Take white things out of kettle with broom handel, then rench, blew and starch.

Spread tee towels on grass. Hang old rags on fense.

Pour rench water on flower bed. Scrub porch with sopy water. Scrub privee, seat and floor with sopy water caught from porch scrub.

Turn tubs upside down.

Go put on clean dress. Smooth hair with side combs. Set and rest a spell and count blessins."

From "Hating Laundry? Read this" by Melissa Y. for Segullah

3 comments:

Olivia Cobian said...

I love this--especially the last part about counting blessins. :)

Shelly said...

Loved going back to those old posts. I can't get over Alex's "puffy" cheeks. Keep on blogging!

Nelson Family said...

I'm very thankful I don't have to do laundry like that.