I pinned and tried this recipe last summer, and while the original slow cooker version is yummy and perfect for a large party, I needed something faster and smaller for our Chips, Dips, and Dorks gathering this week. Below is my altered version, every bit as delicious!
Black Bean Dip
3 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
Half a large onion, chopped in large pieces
1/2 jalapeno, (seeded for less heat) finely chopped
1 clove of minced garlic
16 oz. mild salsa (I used On the Border brand)
8 oz. block pepper jack cheese, grated
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. salt
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Saute the onions, garlic, and jalapeno until the onions are just translucent. In a blender or food processor, combine the beans, sauteed veggies, and salsa; puree until mostly smooth. (Work in batches if you have a tiny food processor like me!) Pour into a bowl and add the spices and cheese, mix well. Spread mixture into a baking dish and cover tightly with foil. Bake for 30-45 minutes, until cheese is melted and middle is piping hot. (I had mine in a smaller, round baking dish, so it needed the full 45 minutes. If you used a larger dish, it would probably only need thirty.)
When it's out of the oven, remove the foil, stir the mixture, and allow to stand and thicken for 10-15 minutes. Serve with tortilla chips and optional garnishes of sliced green onions, cilantro, chopped bell pepper, and sour cream.
So good! Perfect for the BCS championship game Monday night or the Superbowl next month!
2 comments:
Going to try this for the Super Bowl!
I was needing something to use up my black beans. Thanks!
Post a Comment