It's October 18th. Halloween pictures are just around the corner, and I still have vacation pictures galore to sort through. Time to kick the blog into gear, a post every day this week!
Before I start into family recaps, though, I wanted to record a bit about our weekend. Yesterday was our Stake Conference, where we drive to Killeen for a joint meeting with all of the other Central Texas LDS congregations. Except yesterday was different. It was the last time we will drive to Killeen for one of these meetings because yesterday a new Waco "stake" was created. As someone who has lived here since I was nine years old, it was so cool to be able to stand and raise my right hand to sustain that action. To have seen the growth of the congregations over the years. To be a part of the growth.
You know, I've always felt like I have a touch of wanderlust. I don't know if it's a result of all of the moving we did when I was very young, before coming to Texas, but I am constantly enamoured with the idea of moving or going someplace new, different, AWAY. I was going to run far away to a college on the west coast after high school. I was going to move to Boston after grad school. I am constantly telling Brendon we should move here or there.
But at the same time, I love home. When it came down to it, I couldn't bear the idea of being so far from family, so I went to Texas A&M. I gave up Boston for babies. And Waco is home. I never imagined growing up here that it would be, but here I am. And being a part of the proceedings yesterday, I am so glad. There is something really satisfying and emotional about having that strong "hometown" connection.
That's not to say we wouldn't jump at the chance to strike out a new path somewhere different if the opportunity presented itself, because we would! But, for now, I am content, and we will do our part to continue to grow His kingdom and our church in this area of the vineyard.
My favorite quote from yesterday's conference, from Elder Per G. Malm: "In your families, you should say, 'We will speak softly and speak good of people. Because we are children of God, and that is who we represent.'" What a great family motto!
4 comments:
yay! you're back. Lovely quote...sounds like yesterday was the perfect thing for you after our Saturday conversation.
Can't wait for a week of posts! Wish I could have been there yesterday. Pretty amazing stuff and I too love that quote!
I can't believe Waco is going to be it's own stake. Crazy.
Super crazy and awesome about Waco being it's own stake. When mom told us i certainly knew dad would be smiling down and to think that this area started in an old boys and girls club, then building our own building and now a stake- what? And now mom is in the 1st ward. Nancy and I felt this weird sense of traitorship (in a loving way of course).
Post a Comment