Our firstborn is eight. Eight! I love it and can't believe it at the same time.
This kid... He is our obedient heart. Our tender heart. He has the patience of Job as we try out this whole parenting gig on him. He wants nothing more than to be helpful, and he loves nothing more than being appreciated. (Maybe he loves legos a little more.)
This temperament of his is so much like Brendon, whom he idolizes. His Dad is his best friend. In some ways, he's still the same little three-year-old who would wake Brendon up in the morning with a cheerful, "Dad, you play trains with me?" Only now it's legos and wii games.
He is just so good. I am so thankful for the example he sets for his siblings as they watch him grow. I do worry sometimes about him maybe feeling like nice guys finish last, or maybe a bit like the Prodigal Son's older brother, with all of the attention and discipline we sometimes have to devote to the younger ones. So I try to remember to whisper to him every night how very important he is to us, and how glad I am that he is part of our family. So very glad.
Happy Happy Birthday, Shayne!
2 comments:
He is the best, for sure! Happy Birthday, Shayner!
He is the sweetest...like when he told Grace, "well, it's still nice to ask" when she came out and said, "I told you she'd say yes" about getting a snack.
I mean, really. What 8 year old says that?
Post a Comment