Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Way-Back Week: Leigh WILL Graduate August 13th Update

Remember when I was writing my thesis? Ahh, good times. Originally posted May 4, 2005:


Okay, so I turned in the draft of my first chapter this weekend. (Thanks to the help of a lot of Diet Coke and too little sleep, and Brendo) Woo Hoo! The department chair had said my new director was known for pretty fast turn-around time on grading, so I thought a week, week and a half, I'd hear back. Well, this morning at a little after 10 am, the phone rings.... And here is an excerpt from an IM conversation that took place between Brendon and I a few minutes later:



Leigh: hello?
Brendon: HI
Leigh: I am really close to throwing up right now
Brendon: ???  
Leigh: [My thesis director] just called, and as soon as I saw the caller ID, I got a pit in my stomach. I couldn't answer it, and I couldn't listen to the message...turned the volume down as soon as he started talking. And he talked forever. It has to be bad. He hates my writing so much that he is dropping me. He can't understand any of it it's so bad....I just KNOW it   
Leigh: +o(+o(+o(+o(  <<this is the puking face smiley on MSN
Brendon: Wow
Brendon: why so pessimistic? Where's my confident wife?

Leigh: hanging her head over the toilet
Brendon: lol
Brendon: so are you going to listen to it or what?

Leigh: I can't do it
Brendon: i can call in and listen if you don't pick up
Leigh: arrrrrrgggggh. ok, just do it
Leigh:     no don't.
Leigh:     hang on
Leigh:     !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Leigh:     he said I did a wonderful job!!!!!!!
Leigh:     He's finished and ready to give it back
Leigh:     He finished with "Good job!"

Brendon: SEE, I TOLD Ya!!!
Leigh:     ahhhhhhhhhhhh. wow
Leigh:     I am such a dork

Brendon: no comment....
Brendon: although the d word would not be my choice

Leigh:     ???
Brendon: overly unconfident
Leigh:     i made the kids leave the room while i listened. lol didn't want them to hear their mommy harshed
Brendon: ROFL
Brendon: wow babe.
Brendon: maybe I should major in psychology, at least then we could save in therapy bills

Leigh: LOL
Leigh: well, I gotta go find the kids. later.


Yeah. So now that I've revealed my blazing insecurity, maybe I'll get over it. (Maybe not though, because since this conversation this morning I have managed to convince myself that the nice message today was just a lure to get me into his office tomorrow where he can tell me what he really thought of it.) Back to work now on Chapter Two...



1 comment:

Jenny said...

I am so like that. Blazing insecurity. yup.