I'm on a book hunt. I'm on tap to come to our next book club meeting armed with ideas for our next selection.
Our last book was Three Cups of Tea, which had been on my to-read list for.ev.er. I'm so glad that I finally got the chance to read, and LOVE, it. The first half of the book, I was completely taken in by all of the geography, history, and people of Northern Pakistan. Utterly fascinating. The second half, I was wiping away tears every few pages as I read about the fruition of this man's work. The book reminded me that God is faithful to and mindful of all of his children, and that He needs the hands of others--of all of us--to serve them. It made me want to do more in whatever circles of influence I have, and to maybe expand those circles a bit further out into the world.
Okay, so I have a stack of books waiting for me at the library to check out as potential book club reads and was hoping for your input on any of them you have read or heard about, or for other suggestions if you have them. Also, I like good, clean reads, so if you know if any of these have a lot of language or gratuitous anything, please comment!
Cutting for Stone: A Novel by Abraham Verghese (Rated R)
The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon
Kaffir Boy: The True Story of a Black Youth's Coming of Age in Apartheid South Africa by Mark Mathabane
The Art of Racing in the Rain: A Novel by Garth Stein (Rated PG-13/R)
Have a Little Faith: A True Story by Mitch Albom
The Calligrapher's Daughter: A Novel by Eugenia Kim
The Girl with a Dragon Tatoo by Stieg Larsson (Rated R)
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot
Thoughts?
Edited: In case anyone comes back here looking for book ideas, I've put "ratings" next to the ones I've been perusing. I know everyone has different tolerance levels for books, and I just want you to have an idea of what you're getting into if it's a recommendation coming from me.
6 comments:
I feel like a loser because I've never even heard of these!
I was just going to post the same thing, Jenny. I am looking forward to reading any comments on these books. I am almost done with Eat, Pray, Love and am on the lookout for another good one too.
Oh, neither had I until I went searching on different websites and best-seller lists. Don't feel bad. These are just the ones that stuck out to me. Any other recs?
I need some new reads. I've been re-reading everything in my house. Let me know which ones are good.
We read Three Cups of Tea for our book group a couple of months ago, and I saw his next book (Stones into Schools) at the library, so I picked it up. It was amazing!!
And I have never heard of the other books, either! I guess I'm not up on my best sellers.
I LOVE The Alchemist.
I also LOVE Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance... so maybe I shouldn't share anything more ;-)
Post a Comment