Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Check it

I've got so many blog posts floating around in my head right now, but this is the most immediate one, so it gets center stage today.


Cranford440 


Okay, I may have posted about this in the past, but if you are at all a fan of PBS Masterpiece or period pieces (you Pride and Prejudice fans), then you should watch the Cranford series. You can watch it online at pbs, or they have it to watch instantly on Netflix if you have that. (Just kidding. Looks like it's no longer available for streaming at either place. You'll have to rent it. Sorry!) It is totally adorable and fun. I think even Brendon would say he enjoyed it. I caught a re-airing on TV last weekend and was reminded of how delightful it is (because, you know, you have to use words like "delightful' to describe a nineteenth-century British period piece). Then I was even more delighted to see that they'll be airing a new Return to Cranford this weekend and next. So go watch the previous episodes here and there the next few days so you'll be caught up for the weekend!


Emotional life 


Also on PBS recently, Brendon and I watched a show called This Emotional Life, all about human relationships. Utterly fascinating. When I looked up more information on it, I found that what we saw was only the first part to this new three-part special. We saw "Family, Friends, & Lovers." The next part is "Facing Our Fears." You can watch both of those online here. They are each two-hour episodes, but like I said, utterly fascinating. Episode 3 is "Rethinking Happiness" and has yet to air.


So there you go, something fun, something educational. Good TV.



6 comments:

Jenny said...

haha--these are all set to record on my DVR. I'm really interested to sit down and watch TEL. Really excited about Return to Cranford.

Sissa said...

The perfect thing for me to do on a snowy day like today. Thanks!

Sissa said...

So I'm looking to buy the Jane Austen DVD series because the shows don't usually come on a channel that I can record. Anyone have a set they love and would recommend? I've seen both the old and the new and like they both-however I don't think I need to own both. Looking for ideas!

Leigh said...

Karisa, my favorites are the the long BBC series with Colin Firth, and the latest movie version with Keira Knightley. Nothing wrong with owning both of those; it's good to have the long and short options! :)
Related side note: PBS Masterpiece has a new version of Jane Austen's Emma coming out at the end of the month!

Sarah said...

Fun! I have read North and South, but I haven't read this one. Adam is working all weekend, and I know what I am doing now. Thanks Leigh!

Sweetpea said...

FYI- PBS no longer shows Cranford online and Netflix isn't streaming it either. I guess I will just have to wait to get it in the mail. :-(