Monday, October 13, 2008

Making a list

and checking it...well, never.


I've been keeping a list of things I want to blog about, like about how Shayne and Gracie like to play a game called "Giant Baby" wherein their action figures/little people/barbies run from Aubrey like she is Godzilla. And of course, Aubrey happily obliges by screeching as she chases after them.


But, as it's painfully clear around here these days, I don't ever get around to checking anything off of that list.


And if you want to know what that's all about, here's a general breakdown:


1) I'm teaching a couple of classes, which always puts a crimp on my extra time. Evenings are spent curled up with a good (or mediocre) essay and my red pen.


2) Mid-summer I was released from my stake music calling so that I could serve as our ward Young Women President. Of course it adds extra time constraints, and I still feel like I'm just getting my feet wet, but I'm learning, learning, learning with every lesson, event, activity, and meeting.


3) I've learned that we get the most and the best work with regards to homeschool done during Aubrey's nap. This is probably the main "interference" with the blog...naptime (and quiet time for the other two) used to be my quiet time/blog time. It's hard sometimes not having that anymore, but I know it's what's working the best for us right now.


4) Because of all of the above, I've had to get my act together with some of my "batching" habits, namely, keeping on top of things at the house. And it's going shockingly well, actually. Who would've thought?


5) Okay, I'll admit this one is my own fault, but Brendon and I started watching Season 1 of Heroes a few weeks ago. So every night after essays and lesson planning, when we should just be calling it a night, we are usually staying up too late watching "just one more" episode.


So the next time you click on the blog for the fifth (or fiftieth) time for the week, looking for an update that never seems to come, you'll know that instead of blogging, I'm probably


1) grading papers or checking homework


2) chaperoning a dance or in a meeting


3) reading books aloud or teaching handwriting


4) folding laundry or cleaning the bathroom


5) watching Heroes.


That's not say that I'm giving up on the blog. No way. I count on it too much, both as a means of keeping in touch and recording our lives. I'm still keeping my list and hoping to figure out a more regular schedule of posting.


Most of all, I'm banking on this promise:


Seek ye first the kingdom of God, all his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. (Matthew 6:33)


"I cannot promise academic success or perfect families. Nor can I tell you the way in which He will honor His promise of adding blessings upon you. But I can promise you that if you will go to Him in prayer and ask what He would have you do next, promising that you will put His kingdom first, He will answer your prayer and He will keep His promise to add upon your head blessings, and enough to spare. Those apparent prison walls of 'not enough time' will begin to recede even as you are called to do more."  Henry B. Eyring


(And maybe I'd better re-think the whole Heroes thing...)



1 comment:

Shelly said...

I check quite often even though I know you are busy so thanks for this little update.