I had my first day of fall classes this morning. I'm feeling the typical dread for all the grading ahead of me, combined with the anticipation of seeing a new batch of fresh-faced college freshmen...who will have all of their hopes and dreams of a 4.0 quashed by the notorious freshman comp class. Bwahahahaha!
Just kidding. Well, sort of. Kidding about it being fun to see that, not about it actually happening, because all too often it does. Giving that first set of essay grades back is always a tough class day. I usually have to prep them with a disheartening "C is Average" speech. But today, the first day, well...it's usually a bit of an act for me. I typically wear something black and severe looking, and I try to keep a stern face the entire class period as well. No smiling whatsoever. It's good for them to be a little scared! And, hey, the more people who drop, the fewer papers I have to grade! Just kidding. Well, sort of.
Don't worry for my poor little students, though. By next week we'll be old friends; I like to think they have it pretty good by signing on with me. (Though of course, by "friends" I mean one person kowtowing to every little demand of the other person, right down to font and typesize, in hopes of gaining favor.)
So here's to another semester's worth of great blog stories that I'll never be able to share! See you in December! (Kidding again. Well, sort of.)
4 comments:
We should get together and share the non-postable stories some time :)
I think you should have their first essay be a book review of Breaking Dawn.
Paige: That made me laugh out loud. I'm pretty sure I could not maintain an objective point of view grading those. (As you can attest.) :)
I'm still in denial.
Post a Comment