Monday, June 9, 2008

The Good Ol' Days

Ahhh, remember the good ol' days when you would spend your summer days from sun-up to sundown outside? Riding bikes with friends, skipping rope, swimming, and playing games like...Bloody Murder?


Though the name of "Bloody Murder" both makes me laugh and creeps me out now, this hide-and-seek game was totally a part of my childhood. We would play it anytime the grandkids were gathered at Grandma and Grandpa's farm in New Mexico; their barn, garage, and yard were the perfect setting for a good game of hide-and-seek after dark.


Today I found a fun little website that details a ton of nostalgic children's games and jumprope/handclap rhymes: Games Kids Play. So fun. I couldn't help but smile when I saw that it even has the instructions for Bloody Murder:


Everyone stands at the base while one person goes to hide. Those on base count "One o'clock, Two O'clock, Three O'clock..." and on until they get to "Midnight" (yelling this really loud), then the would-be "victims" go and search reluctantly for the "Bloody Murderer." They search until one of them sees the person who was hiding and shouts "BLOODY MURDER!!!" Everyone then tries to get back to the base without being tagged, and the person caught is the next person to hide.


OR


First, gather up at least 3 or more people and determine a base. Next, choose one person to be IT. That person will stand on the base and count: 1:00, 2:00, 3:00 and on until he gets to 12:00. All other players hide while IT counts. At the 12:00 count, IT yells out "Midnight!" and goes searching for the others. As soon as one of them is seen or found by IT, the hider yells out "Bloody Murder!" Then all the hiders try to run to the base before the person who is IT catches them. Whoever is found and tagged while running to base is IT next.


If you're looking for some good old fashioned summer fun, you might want to check it out!



3 comments:

Marchelle said...

Kick the can and Sleeping out on the Tramp, then sneaking off to the neighbors. I love summer.

Shannon Bolt said...

I so remember those summer nights. They were so much fun and care-free. What happened to those days? You know what would be fun??? If we could all get together (ALL the cousins) and play Bloody Murder. Although it probably wouldn't be as fun not on Grandpa's farm. Thanks for the memories!

Aunt Helen said...

I didn't know that's what you kids were playing when we all gathered at the farm.
I thought it was just good ol' hide and seek!!
Bloody Murder...I haven't heard of that game..must be older than I think I am!!!!