We have had a milestone event in our house: Shayne's first loose tooth. He'd been working on it for about a week now, and having all of the fun conversations that come with such an occasion...joking threats from Papa about pliers or string and a doorknob, talk of different food he could eat to help it out, and speculations about the going rate with the Tooth Fairy.
Well, Sunday, just as he was kissing me goodnight, I asked him to let me have a quick look at it. And with one quick, very gentle, tug, it was in my hand. Hooray! Right?
Nope.
As soon as I handed it to him, instead of the excited jabber about the Tooth Fairy I expected, I got the tiny tooth handed right back to me with a dejected, "Here. It's yours; you got it out." Like he had just handed me the game ball when he had hoped and expected to be the one hitting the final homerun. And then the tears began to pile up in his eyes.
Oh, my heart.
It was the saddest little thing. I'd had no idea that he had built it up in his mind so, and so specifically. I had to convince him to even let me put it under his pillow.
He's since recovered, of course. Some sparkly fairy dust and a little extra money in the piggy bank have a way of doing that.
But still...
8 comments:
Wow! You've been busy. I need to catch up on your posts. Glad Shayne recovered from the tooth disappointment! :) Where's the picture of his toothless smile?
Oh, that made me tear up. I don't know who I feel worse for, you for having to hear those words or Shayne because of the disappointment. So sorry...and yes, we need a picture of his smile.
dang...that hurts. I never wanted to be the one to pull my tooth so don't feel too bad.
Glad to hear that you didn't get caught. I really stink at being the tooth fairy. Last week Jarrett lost a tooth and I totally forgot again that it was under his pillow. He woke up at 4:30am and was so sad saying, "the toothfairy didn't come." I assured him that the night wasn't over and sent him back to sleep. So I crept down the stairs and found a dollar and then crawled into his room, hoping he was asleep. I managed to get the dollar under the pillow without him noticing but when I decided to dig around for the tooth, he sat right up and reached under his pillow and found the dollar. Then he climbed out of bed and landed on me and questioned why I was there. I told him I must have dozed off! lol He went and turned on the light and as he was doing that, I reached under and grabbed the tooth before he came back and checked to make sure it was gone. I definitely need to hang up my tu-tu (however you spell that)and hand it over to someone else. Gordon in a tu-tu-hysterical!!!
Callies first tooth was a very different experience that I had pictured too. It wiggled & hung loose for days. I began praying it would come out (because it was quite disgusting to me!) by her 5th birthday party. In the backseat of the van, Braden swung a toy & BAM. It was out. It was bleeding. She was crying. I was driving. We made it home & after an hour or so she calmed. It was better after she got to call a couple of friends & tell them. She was proud. After that, each loose tooth became less eventful. She even pulled one out at school and almost forgot to tell me! Braden has his frist loose tooth. He is thrilled. We will see how that turns out!!! :)
Sounds as though the kid needs a heavy duty remote control car to which thread can be attached to him and the car. Away we go- fun for the whole family. Another fun way would be to go and get a rocket and tie 100ft of thread to it and light it from a distance and see which gives first the tooth or rocket. This all has to be video taped of course.
I'm telling ya- if you guys would stop with the imaginary characters then it really wouldn't matter! :-) It's a lot easier just to tell the truth! :-) I know.... what's the fun in that, right? It's a lot less stressful. :-)
Be sure to write this down so he can get all the details right for his therapist in years to come.
That is what I always tell my girls.
Post a Comment