Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Ummmm, so...yeah.

I've been a bit preoccupied with some new reading since Monday night. Jenny brought me a new book.


Twilight.


Stop! Don't think it! I am NOT that obsessed, stalker-like, all-I-can-talk-about-when-someone-mentions-books-is-Twilight woman you've come to associate with fans of the book! I'm just not!!


You're thinking it anyway, aren't you? Dang it...exactly why I didn't want to read the thing in the first place.


Okay, let me back up for those who might not yet know about the phenomenon that is TheTwilight Saga. (What rock have you been living under, anyway?) I started hearing about this series of books quite some time ago, here and there on blogs or among friends. Then, I started hearing a lot about them. Then, I started hearing gushing, obssessed ravings, and exclamations of outrage over those who had dared not read them yet. 


Over a teenage vampire book? Seriously?


Yep, something seems to happen to women and girls who read them. Much like the venomous vampires they portray, the books seem to bite into the reader, and soon the poor woman has been consumed. I have avoided this, despite repeated attempts to lure me into the coven. Because, I'll admit...I have a problem with liking something that is so popular and that everyone says you just have to like. It makes me feel like a sheep.


Well...baa-a-a-a!


Jenny brought me the first book this weekend, "just in case" I might want to read it. I realized I had no good reason not to, other than what I just mentioned about being a sheep. I also realized that that reasoning is exactly what drives me crazy sometimes about my brother Bill; he is so stubborn about not falling into popular culture that, I argue with him, he often misses some really good stuff!


So, I opened the book, and...500 pages later...here I am. Waiting for Jenny to bring me the other two books this weekend.


It is a fun book...a super fast read that made me dream about vampires last night and pleasantly surprised me with its lack of dumb-girl swooning. Don't get me wrong, there's plenty of swooning and some dumb decisions by the girl in the name of a boy, but for the most part, the main character is strong. There were a few things that annoyed me by the end, but not enough to overpower the whole story. (If they continue in the next books, it could be a different story though.)


I enjoyed it. There, I said it.


But I'm still not joining the coven.



6 comments:

Shelly said...

This post cracks me up. I am glad you caved and enjoyed the book.

Marchelle said...

If you don't want to wait for Jenny, I can bring you the other books.

Jenny said...

haha. I know I hate it. But I love it. But I hate it.

Shannon Bolt said...

HA! HA! HA! I'm glad you caved! They are totally addicting!

Becky said...

Got me intrigued now. I love vampire stuff. Where's my garlic?

Allen said...

Oh brother.... Next thing you know you'll be standing outside the local Barnes and Noble at 2 AM waiting for the next book to come out.. Oh and did I say my wife will problably be standing right there with you.