I've recently resumed a love affair with the library. For awhile, I had been avoiding it because, quite frankly, thinking about the books in other people's hands/houses was wigging me out. But I decided to get over it, stop thinking about it, and have been reading much more as a result...and totally loving it. I get so excited when I get that automated call letting me know a requested book is being held for me. Woohoo!
Mostly my nightstand is holding non-fiction books these days...A Mind at a Time, Reconciliation, The Omnivore's Dilemma...but I also have a few novels that I'm anxious to catch up with...like the latest Fablehaven book, and The Giver for book club next month. If you ever want to check out my full reading list, including reviews, you can always click on over to my profile at GoodReads. (I'll add it to my sidebar links, too.)
I also wanted to link up to a couple of book blogs I've been checking out lately: Good Clean Reads (includes ratings on sexual content, violence, and profanity with all book reviews) and Mother-Daughter Book Club (love, love, love this idea). I've gathered quite a few titles for my "to-read" list from both of these sites. Fun stuff.
Finally, a book blog "tag" from my cousin, Shannon...
The Rules:
1. Pick up the nearest book (at least 123 pages).
2. Turn to page 123.
3. Find the 5th sentence.
4. Post the 5th sentence on your blog.
"These subtle adjustments allow us to stabilize our bodies, to correct and maintain our balance, and to move easily." (from The Out-of-Sync Child by Carol Kranowitz)
Post your own 5th sentence or your latest book recommendation in the comments so I can see what you're reading these days!

6 comments:
I've read about mother-daughter book clubs in a magazine and I think they were even featured on a news magazine show, like Dateline or something. I thought it would be a fun idea to start when Lauren gets older. Off to check out your Good Reads...
I love going to the library. Right now I'm hooked on Molly Murphy mysteries!! Easy read and I just like them!!
"As he had for months now, Adams struggled to keep a balance with the need, on one hand, for all possible haste, and the need, on the other hand, to keep from pushing too fast, forcing events too soon." (from John Adams by, my new favorite author, David McCullough)
Since it would look a little strange to have my book open at my desk, I will have to go from memory, "When we got home my sisters had to cut my dinner every night." The Poisonwood Bible. I am on pg 107 and it was so hard not to read the pages in between to figure out why her sisters have to cut her meat now.
Just curious at to why you are reading the "Out of Sync Child". It's all about sensory issues, right? Does one of the kids have an issue with this? Just curious. I've read parts of the book because of all the sensory issues my two have.
Karisa:
I have a friend who was reading it and telling me about it. I picked it up in the library and thought it was so interesting.
I think we are ALL on the sensory scale somewhere with things that bother us or things that we are compelled to do; it has helped me see that some things I would normally call random little "quirks" (of mine, of my kids', of the random person at church or the store) are actually sensory issues.
So, no problems, per say...just interesting!
Post a Comment