...we are in party recovery mode. Gracie deemed it "the best birthday party ever," and that's all that counts in my book. Thanks to all who came and made it so fun for her.
...we are still celebrating. In honor of Gracie's day, we had Cocoa Puffs for breakfast, Jenny just treated us to lunch and cupcakes, and we are having Gracie's favorite dinner tonight: "chicken and noodles and squash" (chicken alfredo with a side of butternut squash).
...we are loving seeing Aubrey in her new glasses. We got them in the mail Saturday, put them on for the first time Sunday morning, and she has been good to go since. Sweet baby must be seeing a whole new world to keep them on without so much as a single fuss. She drew quite a bit of attention at church yesterday...lots of "Are those real?!" "How does she keep those on?" and "Awwww!" It's just a bit strange yet to think of them as permanent fixtures on her face and in our lives. A new habit, for sure, for this no-prior-glasses-experience family.
...we have the passing of the Prophet and President of our church, Gordon B. Hinckley, close to our hearts. It is a great loss, to be sure, but what sweet reunions must be taking place today in heaven!
I'll close with a few quotes from one of my favorite talks by President Hinckley. It makes me laugh and want to be better all at once...so characteristic of him and his presidency.
"Don’t be a scrub!
"You can do it. You may not be a genius. You may be lacking in some skills. But so many of us can do better than we are now doing.
"You will find your greatest example in the Son of God. I hope that each of you will make Him your friend. I hope you will strive to walk in His paths, extending mercy, blessing those who struggle, living with less selfishness, reaching out to others. He is the greatest example of excellence in all the world.
"Let us all try to stand a little taller, rise a little higher, be a little better. Make the extra effort. You will be happier. You will know a new satisfaction, a new gladness in your heart.
"Look to God, and live. Kneel before Him in supplication. He will help you. He will bless you. He will comfort and sustain you. There will be progress. There will be growth. There will be improvement. And there will be much of added happiness.
"May the Lord bless each of us as we walk the path to perfection that the Lord has asked us to walk—with hope, with faith, and with that charity which 'is the pure love of Christ.'"
from "The Quest for Excellence," The Ensign, September 1999



15 comments:
Aubrey looks so cute. I can't beleive she is keeping them on without any problems. Yea!
I love Aubrey's glasses. So cute!!
The quote from Pres. Hinckley is wonderful!!
I need to copy that and put it where I can read it everyday..Don't be a scrub!!! Love it!!
Another comment..Gracie's birthday cake is so pretty!!! Very princess!!
FANTASTIC Cake, Leigh!!! You are so talented. And I love the glasses!!!
I love the glasses! She looks so cute in them! And way to go on the cake! I'm very impressed!
Wow, you did a great job on the cake! What a special mom you are to do all you do for those kiddos. Little Aubs looks so cute in the snazzy glasses. I hope they do the job for her.
Great job ont he cake, its truely awesome!
Aubrey looks fantastic in her new specs! Glad to hear she is keeping them on and they are helping!
Love the cake- you are no Scrub, mom!. Gracie's looks have matured so much and she's looking at lot like Brendon. You need to post that pic of her next to a pic of her daddy!
I see some bedazzling in Aubrey's future. Good thing my mom is an optician- I'll keep a look out for fancy frames.
Love the glasses! I still remember (and have) Brandon's first pair. They are much cuter and kinder than eye patches. Maybe Brandon can come take lessons from Aubrey on how to keep them on. He needs a refresher course LOL.
SUCH A CUTIE in those glasses!!! My Callie will be jealous. She wants glasses and braces :) I wouldnt mind the glasses, but I am hoping she gets my teeth & we can pass on the thousands of dollars expense of braces!! :)
That cake is GREAT!
OH MY GOSH!!! The glasses are the cutest! Your girls are absolutely beautiful! You did an awesome job on the cake. Happy Birthday Gracie!
Wow! What an awesome job on the birthday cake! Aubrey looks precious:)
Where did you find this quote from Pres. Hinckly? What talk?
Aubrey is just darling in those little glasses! I'd forgotten the "don't be a scrub" talk. That's awesome. I just love that man!
Hey, I found the email. After we saw you I searched for it. ;) We love Aubrey's glasses, too. Such cute kids you have! I wish Briel would have played like she did tonight, years back so we could have spent more time together. Then you could have taught me how to make cakes...look at YOURS!!! You are just too crafty! You know how to do everything!!!! :)
Post a Comment