Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Oh, the blog post I COULD write!


I am in the middle of a grading week--grading and returning essays, compiling and posting midterm averages--so school is at the forefront of my mind. Today while I was waiting for Shayne to get out of school, I was composing in my mind the blog post I could write about teaching freshman comp. Oh, the stories I could tell...the good, the bad, the hilarious, the sad. However, The Internet is forever, people. You just never know who is out there, and how it might come back to bite you when you least expect it.


I will say one thing though about just being on a college campus in general...I love that I can tell exactly where we are in the semester based on the physical appearance of the female student population I see as I walk across campus. At the beginning of the semester, I see a lot of trendy clothes, skirts, heels (with everything), fresh--but heavy--make-up, and adorable bags. By the time we get a few weeks in, the heels have been traded in for comfortable shoes, and the make-up has been toned down to some lipgloss and mascara. At the beginning of October, I can spot mid-terms from a mile away: athletic shorts or pajama bottoms, wrinkled tees, ponytails, and maybe a folder and pen they grabbed as they headed out the door. Right about now we are having a resurgence of looking our best, especially as many of them look towards the approaching sorority rush...but soon enough, the cycle will begin again as we move towards finals. It's a fascinating phenomenon. In fact, somebody should write a paper about it.


As long as I don't have to be the one to grade it.




No comments: