The cold has moved in this weekend. (I told Jenny and Bill they were to blame, bringing their Seattle weather with them.) After church today we changed into our comfies and tried to stay warm with some true comfort food: chili and cinnamon rolls. And if you're a Moore, you know we are not just talking about just having those two items on the same day or at the same meal...we are talking about dipping the cinnamon roll into the chili, or even using the roll as a scoop!
Most of you know about this unusual family tradition/combination, introduced to Brendon's family courtesy of the Cheyenne public school system. (I've even been shown a lunch menu as proof they didn't just make it up.) If you haven't heard of this, consider yourself quite lucky or quite unfortunate, depending on which side of the chili-cinnamon roll debate you are on. :) Even though I haven't been converted to the dip or the scoop myself, I have definitely come to associate the two together. Yep, talk about comfort food.
I've always used the Moore family chili recipe, but have tried several experiments with cinnamon rolls over the years. And today I think I may have hit on my best version ever. I used this dinner roll recipe for the dough (halved it for fourteen cinnamon rolls) and they turned out so soft! Then I added the filling from Brendon's mom's recipe (1/2 cup butter, 4 T. butter, 2 T. cinnamon), and topped them with a Cinnabon copycat frosting recipe a friend gave me (Heat 4 1/2 T milk, 3 T. butter, and 1/4 c. cream cheese until butter melts. Add 1 tsp. vanilla and 3 cups powdered sugar.).
Mmmm...delicious. Hope everyone is staying warm this weekend!
O come, let us sing unto the Lord: let us make a joyful noise to the rock of our salvation. Let us come before his presence with thanksgiving, and make a joyful noise unto him with psalms.
For the Lord is a great God, and a great King above all gods. In his hand are the deep places of the earth: the strength of the hills is his also. The sea is his, and he made it: and his hands formed the dry land.
O come, let us worship and bow down: let us kneel before the Lord our maker. For he is our God; and we are the people of his pasture, and the sheep of his hand.
Psalms 95:1-7
5 comments:
You know what I think is funny? When I was in school, whenever the lunchroom served chili or frito pie, a cinnamon roll was also served with it. That was the only reason I ever bought lunch. The cinnamon rolls were SO good! I never thought or saw anyone dip them in the chili or frito pie though.
Shannon, really?! That is too funny! I was convinced it was just a Wyoming thing. Now I'm wondering if it's just the Texans who missed out on this!
Love that psalm!
My lunchroom always served nachos with cinnamon rolls--the two were never served separately. I want to try your cinnamon roll recipe!
I haven't converted my hubby over either, but like you, he associates the two together. We never have cinnamon rolls without the chili!
Post a Comment