Sunday, November 17, 2013

30 Days of Thankful: Good Music

Today I am feeling thankful for the good music that is woven into our everyday lives. Shelly has asked all our family to tell her our favorite songs of the year, and it has prompted lots of good discussion about what kind of music we listen to and what our favorites are.

  • We listen to quite a bit of pop/Top 40 music in the car, as evidenced by the number of Taylor Swift and Phillip Phillips songs my kids can sing along with.

  • I had on a praise and worship Pandora station while getting ready for church this morning, and Alex was doing so much more dancing and singing than getting dressed that I had to threaten to turn it off. It was awesome. I credit our affinity for this music to my college days at Breakaway with the girls of apartment 1811. Since LDS members tend to stick with more traditional fare, like our beloved Mormon Tabernacle Choir and their beautiful hymns, it was a mostly new experience for me back then, and there is certainly something to be said for an energetic praise song.

  • Of course, we love the Primary songs, too. Do any of you listen to the Jenny Phillips/Kamie Bolen Primary songs? We really like their arrangements, and listening to the cd in the car on the way to church every Sunday is a great way to practice the program songs they need to learn each year.


  • I've realized I love pretty much any song with clapping (think "Brighter than the Sun" by Colbie Caillat). I can't resist. Weird?




Speaking of the MoTab, traditional hymns, and gratitude, here's a favorite:





4 comments:

Shannon said...

Come Thou Fount is my all time FAVORITE song. Not to sound morbid, but I want that song played at my funeral. Just sayin... :)

Jenny N said...

looking forward to Kelly's album!

Nelson Family said...

Both albums look like they will be great.

Shelly said...

I want the Lower Lights too.

And Shannon, I love Come Thou Fount too but the hymn that brings me to tears every time I hear it and needs to be played at my funeral is Be Still My Soul. (sorry for the hijack, Leigh)