We had such a fun New Year's that I thought I'd share what have come to be some of our favorite traditions:
Kid-Friendly Party
When Shayne and Gracie were really little, we would count down to the New Year at about 8:00 p.m., let them blow their horns, and then promptly tuck them in for the night while we stayed up to hang out with family and watch bad tv (I'm looking at you, Rockin' New Year's Eve).
Three years ago, we started getting together with Clark and Marchelle and our friends the Crofts, and we let the kids stay up. Suprisingly, they all make it, fueled by sugar and being together. They play, watch movies, and just generally run wild. And the adults try to keep a handle on the mayhem while talking, eating, and playing a few games. (Phase 10 has created some serious rivalries and trash talk!) Midnight celebrations involve a countdown, horns, silly string, and poppers.
The kids love it so much, and I must say, we do, too.I also tried something new this year, after reading this blog post and going to Target's after-Christmas clearance sale. The morning of New Year's Eve we stripped the Christmas tree of all but the shiniest bulb ornaments and filled in the empty space with brightly colored beads, disco ball and glitter ornaments, party hats, blowers, glow bracelets, and funny glasses. The very festive New Year tree was born:
Chips, Dips, and Dorks
For the past two or three years, we've had a New Year's Day tradition at my parents' house. Aptly named after Seth Green's quote in the movie Can't Buy Me Love, our menu for the day consists entirely of different kinds of dips. We watch football, play games, and just graze all day. It is the best.
Chex Mix, Black Bean Dip, Veggies and Ranch Dip, Spinach Artichoke Dip, Chocolate Dip, and Queso,
with plenty of crackers, chips and fruit in the background for dipping.
BowlingAnother one that the kids just love. When we went this year, Shayne and Gracie just kept thanking us over and over for taking them. I've often joked that this tradition helps me to not have to go bowling any other time of the year, and it's true!"Nope, sorry, that's our special New Year's activity." I know I've posted many pictures of our bowling over the years, so here's a little video instead:
Happy New Year, everyone!


4 comments:
First of all, dying at how pretty my Gracie Lou is. Second, live that tree! Third, I had no idea that was Seth Green. So funny! And fourth, I die at Alex's bowling.
What fun traditions! I, too, love the tree! And love the whole dip thing on New Years Day. My kids would totally love that. Thanks for the ideas! (And for keeping up with the blogging. I need to get back on that.)
We had a great time as well!!
We had a great time too. Always look forward to the Moore's New Years Eve party.
Post a Comment