Saturday, December 29, 2012

Wherein I Eat My Words

There are so many "I'll never"s before you become a parent. One of my big ones was about commercialized characters. In my house, there were going to be no character shirts, shoes, backpacks, etc. etc. etc. I remember being awfully, naively proud of myself when Shayne was a toddler and we had acquired a Blue's Clues cup somewhere along the way, that he only knew it as his "doggie" cup. And I also specifically recall my cousin--and then veteran mom of a four year old--Shannon laughing about that and telling me to get over it.

Get over it I did. With the first lit-up eyes over a Thomas the Train anything, I was over it--hook, line, and sinker.

I was thinking about this about as I posted pictures from Christmas yesterday, wondering if perhaps I had gone too far in the opposite direction of my original convictions. One look at the Angry Birds or Superhero montages, and I'm sure you, too, see what I mean.

So I'm torn. On the one hand, you don't want your kids to be overly-commercialized walking advertisements. On the other, when a kid loves something, you take joy in their loving it (unless it's something really horrid, like Caillou or The Wiggles, and even then most parents suck it up anyway) and in your being able to provide it for them.

Anyway, I've long-since eaten my words, as evidenced most lately by my gifts to Shayne and Alex. After searching for six months for some attractive, matching, neutral, reasonably-priced bedding for their bunk beds that would satisfy all of us, I gave in this Christmas and let them have what they wanted:



And they were oh, so happy about it. And it was in their surprise (I thought you said no way?!) and gratitude that I reconciled myself to both the ugliness boldness and the commercialization of their bedsheets. It will be all too soon that they want plain and neutral and I'm-not-a-little-kid-anymore rooms, and not too far beyond that they will think back nostalgically on their character bedding and stuffed animals and t-shirts and costumes, the same way we all do.

Guess I'm not so torn, after all. Maybe still naive, but not torn.

Feel free to weigh in on how you keep the commercialized stuff to a minimum--or why you don't!

10 comments:

Shannon said...

I am SO laughing right now! But look at that happy boy!

Anonymous said...

I'm laughing too!!
But he is one happy boy
Aunt Nanny

Nelson Family said...

I started out feeling the same way but really it's too hard to fight against. Besides the happy faces make up for it.

Anonymous said...

Think back to the care bear and strawberry shortcake days--bed sets pj's--same dance, differnt music

Mom

Jenny N said...

I was thinking the same as mom. We had starwars, sesame street and all the others and we turned out ok.

well, maybe ;)

Jenny N said...

but yes, it's still ugly!

Olivia Cobian said...

I keep eating my words too. The longer I'm a parent the more I realize that some things matter and some don't.

Karisa said...

I threw the towel in on this long ago. Jarrett, almost 13, still wants a "construction vehicle" room. I really wanted him to have a "tween/teen" room. But I gave in and he's got a construction bedspread, and you know what, I'm still alive, he loves it, and all is at peace in the world....ROFL

Aunt Betty Jo said...

how does this work?

Aunt Betty Jo said...

This is the second time I have written this, so hope I don't forget what I wanted to say.
Got a kick out of your comments regarding the Relief Society cookbook from the 1960's. Guess it might help to know some of the background. We were all living in Germany, shopping from a limited commissary, in the middle of potato, carrot and cabbage land. There was no one in the ward over 40 years of age. We were all missing our mothers and their advice on our cooking.
Some of these recipes I still use regularly. Page 11 hot chicken salad is still a big hit at luncheons. Page 13 steak marinade, page 36 Fran's Barbeque sauce, Page 45 red cabbage and page 42 Rindsrouladen make a wonderful German meal, any cookies but esp. pages 106 oatmeal and 114 peanut blossom.
This well-used book still stands beside my Lion House and other esteemed cookbooks. Guess because when I read those recipes I remember the love, love, love we shared. Lots of memories nestled in those pages. I feel the same way about the recipe book Ollie Jean and Treva put together for us. Love your blog and you, Aunt Betty Jo