Monday, September 24, 2012

On Having Sisters

One day as I was driving Shayne and a friend of his somewhere, the girls were making a bit of a nuisance of themselves, as girls are often wont to do when boys are around. As their antics went on, the friend--who has two younger sisters of his own--turned to Shayne and said...

"Sisters, huh?"

"Yeah..."

And at that second I saw a look of such complete understanding pass between them that it was all I could do to keep myself from bursting out in laughter. "Oh, the humanity!" their eyes read. I don't think I'll ever forget it.

Fortunately, Alex hasn't reached the stage where his sisters cause him quite so much suffering--yet. On the contrary, he is constantly asking one or the other to be his "best friend forever" and doing all their bidding, from playing as one's dog to being the other's royal servant.

More than that, Gracie is his go-to for comfort and help when Brendon and I are gone or unavailable. She can be so sweet with him, relishing her role as big sister and mini-caretaker, as she reads to him or helps him get dressed. And he always goes to her when we are getting ready to leave them with a sitter: "I'll just sit with Gracie."



Sisters...can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em!

5 comments:

Shelly said...

That picture is absolutely darling! I remember you telling me that story this summer and it still makes me laugh. I am sure Ethan would have been giving Shayne and his friend the same look.

Jenny N said...

aw, alex.

Rom Tom said...

Love this picture of them. My girls need a little brother to take care of...

Olivia Cobian said...

Such a sweet picture! It's so fun to meet your kids through your blog! I hope you do go to Nauvoo next summer! It was my first time there and I thought it was incredible!

Shannon said...

So sweet!