For the past two months we have been settling into a big change in the church life of our family. In February, Brendon was called to serve as the president of the LDS Spanish branch in our city.
A quick run-down for any non-LDS here. A branch is a smaller congregation, usually established in an area where there are not enough members for a regular congregation (what we call a "ward"), or to serve a special population, like in this case, Spanish-speaking members. And branches have "presidents" who serve as the lay ministry. So when I say that Brendon has been called as the Spanish branch president, it is like saying he has been called as the pastor of a small ward or congregation. Are you with me?
So what does his new calling mean for the rest of the family? Well, we could have just said, "See ya!" and stayed in our home ward while he served in the branch, but we have chosen to treat it like a family calling and have all moved over to the branch with him. This means we go to church at a different time (trading the 8:30 time slot for 1:30 was not a difficult decision) with all new friends that we are getting to know. It means the kids and I do not understand a whole heck of a lot of our sacrament meeting service (though all the kids from the branch do go to an English-speaking primary). It means I have a new calling myself, as primary chorister. (!!!) It means adjusting to a new "ward culture"--and let me tell you, this branch likes to get together. A lot. It means Brendon is gone much more as he tends to the needs of branch members and goes to various meetings. It means I plan to spend a good chunk of my summer break studying Spanish.
It means change, which can be hard. As I sat down for our sacrament service today--fresh from another humbling round of leading the children's music, and knowing that I was not going to understand most of the meeting ahead--I admit that I allowed myself to miss the comfort of our old ward, the familiarity of the faces and the words. But only until I remembered that becoming refined, becoming more like the person the Lord knows we can be, rarely happens by hanging out within our comfort zone. It comes from being stretched, from doing things that are hard for us, and from trusting that He is in control.
So that's what we are trying to do. Trusting. Allowing ourselves to be used in His service in whatever small way we can offer. Allowing Him to work us into different people through this experience, for however long it may be. And enjoying it. Loving our new friends and church family and appreciating the great influence for good they will be on all of us.
5 comments:
Amen
Thanks for sharing. I needed to hear it.
don't know how you do it...hope the blessings are a comin'
Ah, Leigh, you're great! Good for you all for going to the Spanish Branch! Right after we were married, Edgar was in the Spanish Branch Presidency & I was the branch Relief Society President. I didn't know much Spanish, but I learned fast. The Lord will accelerate your learning because it's for His cause. What a neat opportunity for your whole family. Thanks for this post.
wow Leigh you are a braver woman than I! I have a difficult time just getting through a regular ward meeting because of my out-of-control little ones, much less one in a different language. I'm sure this will be an incredible experience for your family. p.s. I bet you are the best primary chorister ever. I'm sure all the visual aids you make are stunning!
Post a Comment