Sunday, November 6, 2011

Sunday Journal

Yesterday we visited a few nursing homes to sing with our ward. One of my favorite moments, aside from hearing all the children sing "All Things Bright and Beautiful" (Why don't we sing that very much anymore?), was seeing this awesome outfit being sported by a resident's pet dog.

Dog

Seriously, what's funnier than a tiny dog wearing shades? The kids flocked to the well-dressed pup and her owner, and she loved it.

This week we were learning about the different parts of our brain, and on Friday when Gracie got the vacuum out after I asked her for the broom, she said, "Sorry! My temporal lobe just isn't working!"

Alex told me this week that he wanted a Bowser (from SuperMario) birthday when he turns three. Yes, future birthday party themes are still a regular topic of conversation around here. When I asked him "What about Elmo?" (from the last time he "decided"), he thought for a minute and said, "No, Bowser. With Elmo on the side." What?

Dog2 Dog1
Alex discovering the magic of dry ice while making rootbeer last week.

We went to the library book sale this week and scored big. Shayne far, far prefers to read non-fiction, science related books. Which is fine. But I also think it's important for him to read fiction at this point, but had yet to strike the iron with a book or series that really worked for him. Enter Diary of a Wimpy Kid for $.50. I don't know why we hadn't tried it earlier. Yesterday he couldn't be kept from it and asked for book light for the first time. Hooray! Up next, Harry Potter. A couple of his friends have been reading and talking about it, and he's ready to dive in so he can be a part of the conversation (and watch the movies with Mom).

So, I'm loving the Sunday blogging. I've now posted twice as much in the last two weeks as I did in all of September. Hallelujah, people!

3 comments:

Shelly said...

Gracie's comment made laugh. That was a great connection!
Diary of a Wimpy Kid is what got Ethan reading fiction too. I should have given you all the books when you were here.
Thanks for blogging. :)

Rom Tom said...

Has Shayne tried any of the Star Wars books? Marisa just finished the Star Wars Bobba Fett series, (A Clone Wars Series) and is about to start a different Star Wars series. She's hooked and I can't seem to pull her out. Right now she's interwoven her love of legos with star wars and is drooling over the Millenium Falcon and Death Star lego sets.
I'm going to start blogging again...soon. That's the plan, anyways. :)

Jenny said...

whoa--that dog is amazing.
Yay! for blog updates.