Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Moving right along

Sometimes when my kids get together with friends or cousins, they can turn a little green seeing those friends' Nintendo DSes. Fortunately, that rarely translates into any whining over their lot in life. Instead, it manifests itself in this form:


Ds2 


A little creativity, some cardboard, paper, glue, and markers, and viola! A DS to play!


Want more than one game? Just make another! Gracie has one for a Care Bear game, another for Littlest Pet Shop, and a third with her own creation, the Bunny Hop game. Shayne has a Bakugan Brawlers game, and another for his invented game, King of the Branch. (So named and designed after an actual "game" that toucan birds play.) 


Ds1


Some may think this picture of my deprived kids and their paper toys is a bit sad, but I say a little technological deprivation is good for the imagination. 


Then again, instead of pretending to play their games, they could really just be imagining what their lives would be like with Daddy Warbucks as a parent instead of me. Right, Jen?


Now, off to see what I can do to convince Brendon that I need an iphone.



10 comments:

Shannon said...

That's awesome! Reminds me of when Rach made her own laptop computer out of a cardboard box. Love imagination at work!

Shelly said...

Very cute! Love the imagination at work.
I am ready to throw the DSes out the window!

Kari said...

That's funny. My kids do the same thing with cell phones and laptops.

Jenny said...

I did initially think that was sad, but then I do hate seeing kids playing those things. Also, I love Grace's stripes and plaid.

Becky said...

Before you get an iPhone - talk to me?! Really!!! Have a favor to ask.

Olivia said...

Your children are so creative! Good for them for making their own entertainment!

Amy Ahrens said...

My kids have been begging for a DS forever. We are not giving in and it's great to see other parents who are not either. You are my shero!!! HA!

lorraine said...

love it. My brothers made their own action figures out of crumpled up pieces of paper and were really good at it. Of course, now that they're financially independent, they each own a Wii :)

kerry said...

DSes are great fun for the kids, BUT I agree a little deprivation is just fine and needed! We have some serious limits on how long and when they can play our DS. I love the creativity!

sharon said...

Skip the DS and go straight to the iPod Touch. That way you can load them up with math games, letter tracers and eBooks. You buy the app's once and can put them on all your iDevices- in fact most are free. It ends up being a fraction of the cost of a DS. Okay... so maybe that misses the whole point of your post....