I had to laugh when I re-read this entry. I was such a lightweight! I probably wouldn't even bat an eye at this incident these days. Originally posted August 5, 2005:
What a day we have had so far. We decided to start up our "Zoo Fridays" again today since it was overcast and not so hot out. Met up with our Zoo Friday pals and headed off. Saw the eagles, the giant turtles--played on the playground a bit--the fish, the cougar, the bear, and the otters (a new exhibit, loved it, Gracie squealing with delight). Before we made it to the buffalo, though, MELTDOWN. And I mean MELTDOWN. Over the stroller. More specifically, who was going to ride in the umbrella stroller I had brought. (Even though Gracie had no real interest in riding the stroller, she felt it was hers and was going to put up a fight) Screaming and crying ensued on both sides. "Shayne, you need to calm down and stop crying or we will go home." (Repeat approx. 17 times) No way, no how. "Okay, we are going home." LOUDER screaming and crying. So there I was, pretty far into the middle of the (crowded) zoo and had to haul them out. Threw Gracie in the stoller, and Shayne followed us, crying and screeching the whole way, UNTIL one of his shoes (his flip flops, of course) came off. I told him to put it back on and come on. Hmmmmmm, he realizes if his shoes aren't on, he can't leave the zoo. Off the other one comes! So I remove Gracie from the stroller, throw a shoeless Shayne in, and have to carry Gracie now, because she's not going anywhere, and if even she was, she couldn't have kept up with my embarrassed mom, please-get-me-out-of-here pace. Picture me with one (heavy) crying girl on my hip, pushing a (heavier) screaming boy in a stroller one-handed. That walk back to the car seemed to take forever.
So, yeah, I was *that* mom today. Not the best feeling. The stares and shakes of the head were pretty piercing. Just kept repeating the quote, "These are the longest days, but the shortest years," in my head over and over the whole time. Good times! :-)
(And, do I even need to add that both of the troublemakers are currently in a deep slumber? I'm going to blame this one on being over-tired. At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it!)
4 comments:
Thanks for all the way back when posts. This one is a good one. I really hate being *that* mom and it seems like I am *that* mom more and more often.
i have to say that these posts make me so sentimental for toddler Shayne and Grace.
Got news. You did exactly the right thing. They start that - you CAN NOT LET THEM WIN. It's not cute when they're 3 or 13. Now - 5 years later - I'll bet you know that even more clearly!
I live in a "that mom" state. Doesn't bother me at all. I do like that saying though..."longest days but shortest years". Never heard it before.
Post a Comment