Friday, March 12, 2010

What's in a smile?

Sorry, no Friday Photos today...I haven't downloaded any pictures from my camera in a while. And I'm going to draw for the banner on Monday (so you can still comment if you want). Some of the responses are making me laugh; I think there are just as many, "I'd take it, but..." comments as the actual entries. Aunt Helen, yours made me laugh out loud!


So, just a funny little story for you...


In January, for school, we read the book Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel. In it, one of the characters tries to trick Mike Mulligan into doing a job for him, and then tries to stiff him on the payment when the job gets done. I know, tough life lessons for a kids' book, right? But it is a cute book that we enjoyed despite that small dose of workplace reality.


Fast forward a month or so when the kids watch Night at the Museum for the first time. I hadn't seen it myself since it first came out, and had forgotten any plot line outside of the things coming to life at night. So when Dick Van Dyke's character first appeared on the screen and Shayne said, "Oh, he's the bad guy in the movie, right?" I said no, no, he's not. Of course, I had to recant later when the secret plot was revealed and we realized that, oh wait, yes he is. Shayne's response: "I knew it! I knew it! He smiled in a rather mean way!!"


Mean smile 


It's a line from the Mike Mulligan book. Everytime that cheapskate character had said something, it was followed with, "...and he smiled in a rather mean way." We never talked about it then, but apparently it had stuck with Shayne. And now that it's proven to be a true test for him, he looks for it in every movie and book we watch or read.


So take note: If you want to know who the villain is in movies, in books, even in real life...it's all in the smile.



2 comments:

Jenny said...

See---our whole family is is good at sussing out bad hollywood plot lines!

Shelly said...

It's so funny the little things kids pick up on that we don't even realize. This one is really cute and can be so true!