This has been one of those weeks where every morning, either Brendon or I looks at Alex and asks, "Did you get bigger overnight?" Definite growth spurt. He has also been experiencing and learning new things this week...
First time swinging in the park swing. LOVED this.
Discovered (and destroyed) the tupperware drawer.
And learned how to clap. Applause! Applause! Applause!
On a slightly related (but not really) note, this week I opened a suitcase Shelly sent full of Gracie's and Aubrey's baby clothes that her little Jillian has now outgrown, too. My first thought upon opening it was, Yes! I can finally make some money back on all of those Gymboree clothes we bought! Second thought: Oh! Remember when...
And suddenly I became one of those women in a sappy commercial or made-for-tv movie, pulling out each piece, rubbing it against my cheek and smelling it for any hint of my once-little babies.
Ridiculous, my logical side says. I know. But then I look at these little pieces of fabric that remind me of sweetness like this...
and smiles like this...
and I'm just a pool of mushy goo. Ridiculous, again, I know. I have these pictures, or I can save just my favorites. I can make a quilt or wall hanging with them. I logically know all of these things. I logically know I'll never need them again and that they'll just take up valuable storage space until I get rid of them. But emotionally, I just don't feel ready to part with them.
And it's just these girl clothes. I went through the newborn boy clothes as soon as Alex grew out of them, saving only the basic coming home and blessing outfits and blankets, without all of this emotional fuss. What is it about the girl stuff that is doing me in?
7 comments:
I'm with ya! I can't part with my girl clothes either. Boy stuff I dont mind as much. Us Mommy's just are attached to pink frilly little things!
oh and can i just say...the picture of Alex clapping just brings me such joy! He's such a sweet baby!
I kinda felt the same way as I was boxing up things. I just kept remembering the look on your face when Aunt Helen and Shannon pulled out those pjs that Grandma made. So sentimental! When the time comes, how do I know what to keep and what to toss/sell? What's going to elicit that kind of reaction from my kids when I take something out of a box 20 or 30 years from now?
oooh, such cute babies.
I kept two or three outfits for each of my kids. My favorite outfits and if they had any sentimental feelings. Rachel wore a few of Shannon's old outfits, the boys aren't interested in theirs at all!
The clothes that I have kept is the outfit they came home from the hospital and maybe one or two special outfits. I actually sold pretty much all of Rachel's baby clothes several years ago at a consignment sale and made quite a bit of money from it (mainly because most of her clothes were Gymboree or Baby Gap). I have kept the clothes that my mom gave me for Rach that I wore as a baby. I would never give those away. But I understand it is so hard!
Is that the hum or ovaries I hear?!
Post a Comment