The other day Shayne was talking about "When I'm a teenager..." and I had a lightbulb moment that we are now closer to his teenage years than we are to the day he was born. Not by much, of course, but still, the corner has been turned. The next day I found these new signs he had made to hang on his bedroom door:
A little glimpse into those fun future teenage years. It's going to be a blast, I'm sure!
A couple of other funny little stories from the boy:
Reading has opened up a whole new avenue of commercialism and media influence in his life. He's taken to reading the labels on food boxes/jars/etc. and now when I am making out grocery lists, I get to hear things like, "Be sure to buy Heinz ketchup, Mommy! They only use the very best tomatoes for the very best ketchup!"
A few weeks back, Shayne bought a Bioncle with some money he had been saving; or, I should say, Brendon bought it with the understanding that Shayne would turn his money over to Dad later. Fast forward to last Sunday, when Shayne approached Brendon with what he thought was a brilliant plan: "How about, instead of giving you my money, I pay you with candy instead?" (That would be leftover Easter candy he's been hoarding for over a month.) Brendon and I had a hard time keeping the giggles in, and Shayne just didn't understand why we didn't think that was a good idea..."But I have some really good ones! You'll really like them!" A little chat about the value of a dollar and not being greedy set the world right again.
Okay, one more quick one: This is Shayne and his "Hardy bird," a favorite toy from his babyhood. With the approaching arrival of a new sibling, we've spent some time going through scrapbooks and pictures with the kids, talking about what they were like as babies, and Shayne has re-discovered his old pal as a result. Another result? Shayne officially gave up all of his old lovey blankets and donated them to his new brother. Most of them have chewed up corners or ripped seams, but how can I not use them after such a sweet gesture?
2 comments:
This post had me laughing out loud! His signs and his ketchup comment are so cute. They grow up too fast!
so sweet about the blankets!
Post a Comment