Wednesday, November 5, 2008

What is wrong with people?

Perhaps the only time I'll ever go political on this blog, but...rant ahead!


Today, I entered a place of business, was quietly waiting my turn in line and witnessed a grown woman purchase a newspaper, throw it down on the floor in disgust, and then proceed to stomp on Obama's picture like a 3-year old. The reaction of the woman who had come in with her? "Well, I'm just glad that I don't think he'll make it to January."


Oh. My. Gosh.


What disgusting behavior. What ignorance.


Then, just a bit ago, I received an email from the conservative Christian university where I teach about three incidents the campus police have dealt with in the last 24 hours. A fire with burning Obama campaign signs, a verbal shouting match between a group of white students and a group of minority students, a noose in a tree.


What is wrong with people?


I may not have voted for Obama. I may not agree with his politics, but I can certainly respect the fact that we watched an historic moment for our country unfold last night. I watched with some emotion, and with pride in a democratic system where people can use their votes as voices. And those voices will be heard.


I know that one day my children's children may ask them if they remember the day that the first African-American president was elected to office. So last night I took a picture of Aubrey asleep in Brendon's arms in front of the tv as the election was called, so she can reply that she was there--asleep and unaware--but there. Shayne and Gracie went with Brendon and me to vote yesterday, proudly pushing the red "Cast Your Ballot" button for us and then eagerly coloring in the red and blue states on their maps as the results came in last night. After they finished them up this morning, I tucked the maps away for them as evidence that they, too, were there.


I watched last night with appreciation for tangible evidence of how far our nation has come in such a relatively short period of time since the days of segregation. But after the events I have seen and heard about today right here, I'm not so sure that that feeling was a valid one.


Apparently we still have miles to go.



4 comments:

Shelly said...

Wow. Just WOW! That is really unbelievable! I don't know what else to say except exactly what you said, "What disgusting behavior. What ignorance."
I enjoyed last night so much as did my kids.

Matt said...

Should have called the Secret Service. Unfortunately there will always be people who play to the stereotype he presented in so many of his speeches.

Jenny said...

It's really shocking and pretty appalling that people STILL think like that.

Kerry said...

I too can't believe the behavior of some of those in our country! It is disgusting.