Spoiler Alert! Don't read this post if you don't want the Twilight series or the latest Indiana Jones movie spoiled for you!
So, I read Breaking Dawn last weekend.
Basically, my opinion of it, and of other people's opinions of it...since it's garnering quite its share of negative reviews, all boils down to this: It's a vampire book!
I would compare it to the latest Indiana Jones movie, which received a lot of flack for its "outrageous" and "hokie" ending, because my reaction to those reviews was, "I'm sorry, what part of the old Indiana Jones movies led you to believe this one would be at all realistic? Was it the ark that melted your face off unless you simply kept your eyes closed? Or maybe the psychopathic high priest's removal of a live heart in The Temple of Doom? Wait, no, it must have been the still-living knight protecting the holy grail in the last one. Yep, that's it."
My point? I just don't see how the alien-like, other-dimensional beings from this latest movie are such a stretch from those previous scenarios. Plus, I mean, seriously, it was written by George Lucas. How much did you really expect? So, just enjoy it for what it is...a fun adventure movie. I did!
Back to Breaking Dawn.
Lots of people are unhappy with where the author took the story in this final book. Take Shelly (sorry to pick on you, Shell ;-) for example, who, mid-way through the book, told me: "I just don't think it's believeable." My reaction? After some laughter (it couldn't be helped!), it was, "I'm sorry, what part of the previous three books led you to think this one was going to bring you even a shred of reality? Was it the teenage girl falling in love with a moral vampire? Or maybe it was the love triangle with a modest werewolf who runs around with shorts tied to his ankle? No, no, it must have been the army of newborn vampires that attacked Seattle, Washington and had to be taken down in the last one. Yeah, that's it."
So, again, I don't really see how the mutant human-vampire spawn and all that came with it (including the imprinting) in this latest book are such a stretch from those previous scenarios. Plus, it was written by a relatively inexperienced author. How much did you really expect? Enjoy it for what it is...just a wild, kind of silly, little adventure book. I did!
P.S. Jenny sent me link yesterday to a series of interviews EW did with Stephenie Meyer about Breaking Dawn and all of the varied reactions to it. So if you didn't like the book and want to hear her response, you might want to check it out: EW Interview (scroll up to the top of the sidebar on the right and start with Part 1)
3 comments:
AMEN, yo! It's fun and lovey and about vampires!!
I did enjoy the book for what it is after I talked to you. I rather like it now and want to go back and enjoy the first half again...But geez I didn't need the whole world knowing what an idiot I sounded like while reading the beginning. That could have been kept between you and me. ;-) Thanks!
I liked it. Wasn't something that will change my life, but it was a good entertaining read and that's what I like. Same thing with movies, I want to be entertained, not educated or preached to.
Post a Comment