Thursday, April 24, 2008

The swing of things

So, I'm back. Of course, I've actually been back from my girls' weekend since Sunday afternoon, but...



I don't know if I'm the only one this happens to, but instead of being all fresh and rejuvenated when I come back from time on my own, it really takes me some time to get back into the swing of things. If I come home from time away and am immediately thrown back into laundry, dinner, and whining...well, it's not going to be pretty.



Thankfully, Brendon must sense this because I came home on Sunday to dinner already started in the crockpot, and I was given the time and space for a much needed nap. (Because, as much as I love them, girls' weekends leave me exhausted! All that late night gabbing takes its toll on a gal!) But even with that gentle welcome home, it's still taken me a few days to fully get back to the daily grind...



But, now, I really am back, deep in the midst of laundry, dinner, and whining. And I'm feeling really good about everything I learned this weekend. Seriously, everything I heard was just what I needed to hear. Here are a few favorite quotes and notes from the conference that really spoke to me:



  • If you saw a mother treating her daughter the way you often treat yourself, what kind of mother would you think she was? We could be more gentle with ourselves, and He has borne our every burden so that we can.


  • "Let patience have her perfect work." (James 1:4)


  • If your children know that you love them unconditionally, they'll have an easier time understanding how God loves them.


  • "No one of us is less treasured or cherished of God than another...He loves each of us—insecurities, anxieties, self-image, and all. He doesn't measure our talents or our looks; He doesn't measure our professions or our possessions. He cheers on every runner, calling out that the race is against sin, not against each other." (Jeffrey R. Holland)


  • If we want to do something great, we need to trust in He who is great.


  • Do I starve myself from things that are given freely, without price?


  • Once you ask, and God tells you what you should be doing--you cannot be held back from doing it.


Again, just the shot in the arm I needed.



As always, I also thoroughly enjoyed sitting around the table, laughing, crying, commiserating, and celebrating with the women in my family. I learn so much from them! (Including things about my mom that I'd never heard before... and that I could totally use as blackmail if needed since she and Aunt Helen are still scared of my grandpa--their 92-year-old father--finding out about some of their teenage hijinks! Better hope Grandpa doesn't read the blog, Mom! Bwwahahaha!) Thanks for the fun, ladies!



Coming back to add a couple of other notes about the conference and some recommendations:



  1. My Uncle Dean was one of the presenters this weekend. (One of the main reasons we attended.) I felt like his presentation was just for me. He talked about how we tend to compete at all of the wrong things in life, the things that don't really matter in the big picture. (He used the Holland quote I included above.) I picked up his new book, The Cost of Winning, about the same topic and have been reading it ever since I got home. Highly recommend. I'll be happy to loan it out as soon as I'm done, too.


  2. I have had and enjoyed a Hilary Weeks cd for years now, and she was one of the musical presenters this weekend. It was the first time I've seen her in person, and I have to say I was pretty impressed. Not only does she have a lovely voice and inspiring music (that she writes herself), but she was totally witty and fun as well.


2 comments:

kerry said...

I'm so glad you had a great weekend, sounds like a ton of fun!
I just got done reading one of your uncles books... Saboteur. Very good.
I'm heading to Utah this weekend, will have to look for the new book you mentioned!

Shelly said...

I loved how we all picked up on different things but the one we have all talked about is the one about how we treat ourselves. I think all women need to hear that quote and we would be much better off.
I had a great weekend with all of you! Can't wait for the next girls weekend.