Back when I did a study abroad in London, I (and many of my roommates) developed a quirky little habit that still manifests itself from time to time.
I sing-talk.
And we're not talking just a little sing-songy voice here, we're talking operatic and/or Broadway show tune style sing-talk. (And you have to remember here, too, that I am a very, very, very poor singer.)
It came from living in London and going to the theatre nearly every. single. night. We were there, we had student ticket prices, why not? Les Mis, Sunset Boulevard...we saw it all and then some. So, the sing-talking from musical theatre and opera just became part of our everyday life. We used it in our study sessions and at our dinner table. I'm sure we were completely annoying.
Anyway...old habits die hard, and I still find the sing-talk breaking out on occasion. What's totally awesome and funny (and scary) though, is that the kids now answer me back. Imagine this conversation taking place in our home...
Me (in Broadway style): Grace, who made this mess? Who made this mess? This big ol' mess! I think it was You!
Gracie (in Opera style): No, Mommy. It. was. YOU!
Me (answering in Opera): I don't think so. I don't think so. Please clean it up!
Gracie (the "opera" continues): No, Mommy! I don't think so!
Me: Yes, Gracie! Yes! (You can tell my sing-talk likes to repeat.)
Gracie: Oh Mommy, can you help me? I need some help.
Me: Yes.....I....Caaaaaaaaaaaan!
Yeah, I know...
I'm a freak, and worse...I'm passing it on to my children.
4 comments:
Reading it doesn't quite do it justice I'm sure. So why don't you record it for our listening pleasure!
Yeah, I'll get right on that...
Never.
Your house sounds like so much FUN!!!
How funny! Maybe I should replace my yelling with singing and them maybe, just maybe, my kids will do anything I ask. :-)
Post a Comment